Computer engineering is an innovative discipline that embodies the design and development of modern computing systems including hardware, software and a broad range of computer applications.
Graduates of Computer Engineering work in cutting edge industries and research centers including electronics, telecommunications, robotics, information services, finance, and so on.
The mission of the Department of Computer Engineering at Yeungnam University is to provide strong, comprehensive, state-of-the-art education to be creative and innovative computing engineers. To achieve the mission, we provide a complete curriculum containing coursework at the introductory, common cores, and advanced levels. The discipline areas include Programming Languages, Algorithms, Digital Logic, Computer Architecture and Organization, Operating Systems, Software Engineering, Graphics and Visual Computing, Computer Networks, Embedded Systems, Intelligent Systems, and Information Management.
And students also have many opportunities to learn professional experience by collaborating with leading edge companies through projects or internships.
|February 1985||Established the Department of Computer Engineering|
|March 1989||Established a Master degree program|
|March 1991||Established a Doctorate degree program|
|October 1999||Merged into the School of Electronic Engineering, Computer Science and Information Communication from the departments of Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Computer Engineering and Information communication Engineering|
|February 2001||Recognized as the best program in the Computer and Information Engineering fields by the Ministry of Education|
|October 2005||Reorganized School of Electronic Engineering, Computer Science, and Information Communication by splitting the Department of Electrical Engineering|
|February 2006||Recognized as the best program in the Computer Engineering and information fields by the Ministry of Education|
|February 2007 and 2009||The Bachelor program is accredited by Accreditation Board for Engineering Education of Korea|
|March 2010||Reorganized as the Department of Computer Engineering in the College of Engineering|
Graduates work in most cutting edge industries and research centers, including Computer Hardware and Software companies, Electronics, Telecommunications, Information and Internet Services, Network Securities, Aerospace and Defense industries, Consumer Electronics, Computer Games, Robotics, Biomedical industries, Finance and Security companies, Public Services, Educations, and so on.
Kwak, Jong Wook,ProfessorHomepage
- Seoul National Univ. Operating System, Computer Architecture, Embedded System
- Tsukuba Univ. Pattern Recognition
Park, Chang Hyeon,ProfessorHomepage
- Seoul National Univ. Artificial Intelligence, Intelligent Information Systems, Data Science
- Texas A&M University Sensor Informatics & Computational Modeling
- KAIST Database
- Kyoto Univ. Language and Multimedia
Yeong-Seok Seo,Associate ProfessorHomepage
- KAIST Computer science
Jonghee M. Youn,Associate ProfessorHomepage
- Seoul National Univ. Compiler, Software Optimization and Security
Young Deok Park,Assistant ProfessorHomepage
- POSTECH Mobile Networking
HONG JEONGKYU,Assistant Professor
Sa gong woon,
PHAN THI HUYEN TRANG,International Research Professor
sorted by the position and Korean name
Department Of Computer Engineering
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 1- 1
- CONVERGENCE- AND INTEGRATION-BASED THINKING AND WRITING
- The ability of analyzing and solving problems is emphasized as one of the conditions for survival in the 21st century and one of the core elements of creative capabilities. This course was designed to cultivate convergence- and integration-based creative capabilities, which are integrated problem-solving capabilities to collect, analyze and process knowledge and information by reinforcing the ability of analyzing and solving problems, recreate it in a synthetic fashion, and express it effectively through speech and writing. The course will help the students cultivate their synesthesia thinking and communication skills based on sympathy with other human beings, understanding of the community, and positivity or Gongseong that is sought after by Yeungnam University. Its ultimate goals are to promote the students' creative knowledge development and reinforce their writing capabilities consistently through "convergence- and integration-based thinking and writing as a problem-solving approach."
- SEMINAR FOR ACADEMIC LIFE
- 1. Summary of the course This course is to assist university freshmen in CRM designing to adapt university life well through the instruction and counselling of supervising professor. (This course is composed of self analysis, personality type test, career research, instruction for the success of university life, career plan and direction setting, CRM designing method and CRM designing. The course should be teaching in classes of the students by supervising professor.) 2. Course objectives This course is to motivate the students before the mid term exam and provide students with self analysis, personality type test (MBTI or TCI) and career research (YAT test). Also, this course shall has a plan to instruct the students to enhance the efficiency of university life through career and time management. In addition, this course is to make a chance for the students to have practical assistance to university life by providing study method, report designing strategy and the information on academic system and various kinds of internal programs of the university. After the mid term exam, the students will be instructed to set the direction of career designing through continuous counselling of supervising professor and the students will be able to establish CRM designing and execution plan.
- SOCIAL CONTRIBUTION AND SERVICE
- This course is to cultivate community sense as members of society and the global village for students in order to develop the basic knowledge required as global citizens. Especially, this course is to foster the spirit of cooperation, sharing, service, and creativity and study the social contribution and leadership to solving the challenges the global community faces. As a liberal arts course, it is centered to nurture a leader having the global capability to contribute to community development through learning the knowledge and the case on the value & logic of social responsibility focused on environmental preservation, social contribution, and good governance(ESG). This course aims to foster a generous mind, learn knowledge and technology and build the capacity to contribute to building a society towards a safer and happier world through the study of theory and practice.
- SOFTWARE AND AI
- Software and AI (Artificial Intelligence) course aims to educate the basic concepts of software and computational thinking to use them in various applications. It allows students of various majors to experience the core technologies of the 4th industrial revolution, such as big data, machine learning, and AI. It also introduces various applications of AI so that students can easily apply these technologies to their field of study. This course classifies the lecture types into three categories, and adjust the lecture difficulty according to the student's academic ability.
- As the latest technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Big Data Analysis, Block Chain are emerging, the importance of software is being emphasized. In this course, we will try to study the theory and practice of C programming language which is the basis of such software development. This course allows us to form a programming mind while cultivating programming problem solving and logical thinking skills.
- PRACTICAL ENGLISH
- The aim of the course is to help students develop basic English verbal skills in real life situations. The course will be co-taught by Korean and Native English instructors. Korean instructors will provide students with basic English structure, vocabulary, and expressions, and students will be encouraged to practice speaking English utilizing basic English structures. Students will further practice expressing themselves in English with native English instructors.
- This course defines events and probabilities, conditional probabilities and independence to evaluate probabilities. Elementary probability distributions such as binomial distribution, geometric distribution, Poisson distribution, and normal distribution are also introduced. The concepts of sample distribution of the statistic and the central limit theorem are introduced. The statistical inference including estimation and hypothesis testing of the mean and the standard deviation will be discussed.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 2- 1
- TECHNOLOGICAL REVOLUTIONS AND ENGINEERING ETHICS
- This course is designed to enhance the virtues and the problem-solving abilities which are required for students who will be scientists or engineers in the future, by virtue of providing students with the knowledge of the main normative ethical theories, the methods to deal with ethical issues in their fields, and the practical knowledge of how to become a desirable scientist or engineer.
- INTRODUCTION TO FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING
- This course provides an introduction to accounting within the context of business and business decision. The audience will explore accounting information’s role in the decisions marking process, and learn how to use various types of accounting information found in financial statements and annual reports. Understanding how accounting information can be used to make better business decisions will benefit all students, regardless of their major course of study or chosen career.
- DISCRETE MATHEMATICS
- This course provides some foundations of the courses of Data Structure, Switching Theory and Logic Circuit, Formal Languages, Artificial Intelligence, and Information Processing which are essential in computer field, through the studies on the following topics; mathematical logic, set theory, relation, graph, function, algebraic system, Boolean algebra, and computation theory and technique of program complexity for program analysis.
- INTRODUCTION TO ENGINEERING DESIGN
- This subject invokes the interests of freshman engineer to engineering prior to regular engineering subjects. Creative problem solving skills are taught in the class such as brain storming, generation, analysis, practice, evaluation, and improvement of idea through minimum theory and various design projects, etc. Various projects for visual thinking and drawing, power writing skills, model bridge design, are carried out to operate, evaluate the performance of students on group base competition and thus enhances teamwork and communication skills. By taking this course, freshmen begin to have interests in engineering design and can develop creative problem solving skill, and eventually develop strong desire to continue engineering career.
- DIGITAL LOGIC DESIGN
- The digital system consists of logic circuits that process a binary information. This course provides students with digital circuit design technology using two analytic methods. The first level deals with the analysis and design of combinational and sequential circuits using gates and flip-flops and the second one is to design in the register transportation level using VHDL.
- DIGITAL LOGIC DESIGN LABORATORY
- This course makes an experiment on logic circuits such as design, implementation and analysis of the input-output signals. The experimental circuits include two level combinational logic, multilevel combinational logic, programmable logic, arithmetic circuits, and sequential logic circuits such as flip-flops, register, counter, memory, finite state machine.
- PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES
- The Object-Oriented Languages, such as C++, Ada, and Java, become more important especially in large-scale software systems, and the knowledge in some depth of OO paradigms is prerequisite to learn such languages. The issues includes are; . the key concepts of the OO programming paradigm . the syntax of the language C++ . OO analysis, design, and test methods Practice and training are needed for studying every programming language.
- CAREER DESIGN
- 1. Summary of the course This course is to let the students to set the career goal at the early stage of university life through systematic and continuous counselling and instruction on CRM achievement and change of career designed by the students after the admission to the university. This course is to let the students attain career management method and edit, complement and confirm the CRM in a systematic manner by self analysis and analysis of employment competence while the course is being taught. Also, this course is to utilize video lecture as the secondary teaching material to let the students have competency in employment. 2. Course objectives This course is to assist to the enrolled students in designing their own employment plan for themselves by the education of drafting application materials for employment (resume, statement of purpose and application forms), communication skills and presentation skills. Furthermore, the course ultimate goal of guiding the students to systematically design (manage) CRM at each grade of the university with the counselling by the supervising professor until the time of graduation.
- DATA COMMUNICATIONS
- This course introduces the basic concepts and theories of data communications. With this background, this course details with the following topics: analog and digital communication, data coding methods, optical communication technology, wireless and mobile communication, satellite communication, demultiplexer, link control protocol, public communication technology, switching technology, LAN, and ISDN.
- DATA STRUCTURES AND PRACTICE
- The course of "Practice of Data Structures" tries to help students to understand the principle of data structure course with many practices. It also improves the practical skill of students by exercising many examples on how data structures and algorithms are applied to real applications. Specifically, in this course, students are required to program the basic operations of array, stack, queue, linked list. tree, and graph. Students also implement many application systems using the data structures.
- DATA STRUCTURES
- It tries to understand the relationship of the data which are the object of information control which is a data structure with the expression which recovers it plans the operation method against him it is the point subject public opinion one of the computer sciences for. A lot to share it arranges from the process which it sees, the stack and queue, list, tree and the graph gadfly to confront with a fan-shaped structure and a rain fan-shaped structure, it studies and it lines up, it studies the basic operation method of hashing and the search back. This process it leads and the programming language which will reach and with the ability fact it will be able to apply the data composition method of the multi branch it uses the ability it will be able to embody it cultivates
- JAVA PROGRAMMING AND LABORATORY
- Java is widely used in network programming due to its platform independence. This course covers the Java 2 standard edition (J2SE). The major topics to be dealt with are basic functions and libraries of J2SE, networking, applet, thread, media, JFC, and security.
- MICROPROCESSOR LAB.
- This course practices a microprocessor, especially an Arduino which uses an ATmega 328 processor. By using various sensor modules such as LCD, LED, switch, and ICs, students can improve their understanding of hardware and experiment with the operation of microprocessors.
- This course teaches students how to design and integrate hardware and software related with microprocessors including peripherals, so that the student will uderstand microprocessors and be able to design microprocessor-based systems. Topics such as architecture, hardware, software, and interfacing will be provided.
- SYSTEM PROGRAMMING AND SECURITY
- This course covers all the major ideas of open source based Linux programming; file I/O, file systems, device I/O, terminal driver, timers, signals, processes, pipes, stream and datagram sockets, network programming, POSIX threads, and semaphores. Students will be expected to write programs that make full use of operating system services, while learning how open source based Linux, as well as UNIX, system works. As an extension of this course, system security issues are also covered such as buffer overflow, reverse engineering, shell code and so on.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 3- 1
- COMPUTER GRAPHICS
- Computer graphics is one of the most exciting and rapidly growing computer fields and has now become a common element in user interfaces, data visualization, television commercials, motion pictures, and many other applications. Hardware devices and software algorithms have been developed for improving the effectiveness, realism, and speed of picture generation. The course covers fundamental algorithms for the representation and display of two-dimensional graphics objects, two- and three-dimensional geometric transformation and viewing transformation, methods for modeling and organizing picture components into separate structures, illumination models and surface-rendering methods, and animation techniques.
- SOFTWARE DESIGN
- - (Introduction) In this course, we will try to understand software process that is one of the crucial factors of software development in practice and to learn essential tasks with work products in each step. Especially, we will study concepts of software project management and software design & analysis technique with design patterns and develop the ability to design software based on CASE (Computer-Aided Software Engineering) tools with UML (Unified Modeling Language). This course provides insight into the value of software engineering and great help to understand how software design and development are managed effectively, in an aspects of software development manager and developer. - (Plan) Students are required to carry out a software project by following a software process including requirement specification, design, implementation, and testing stages. Each software project will be reviewed by ongoing feedback, to support the project completion.
- COMPUTER ALGORITHM
- This course focuses on describing algorithms for such advanced problems as fragmentation and combination, greedy method, dynamic programming, basic searching technique, reverse traversal, algebraic simplification and transformation, NP problems, and so on. It also analyzes the algorithms and discusses the complexity of each algorithm. Finally, to understand the applications of each algorithm, a number of exercise problems are supported.
- COMPUTER NETWORKS
- The goal of this course is to raise the ability to handle diverse network devices on TCP/IP based network environments. This course also provide a chance for getting knowledge of protocol, network devices like router and switch, and routing technologies.
- IOT AND EMBEDDED SOFTWARE
- The goal of this course is to solidify and build upon a student’s knowledge of IoT and embedded system design. Specifically, the course performance outcomes are that students will: 1) Understand some preliminary knowledge for IoT and embedded system design such as experimental apparatus, some basic electronic circuits, and microprocessor, etc. 2) Recognize and identify the constraints facing IoT and embedded system designers, and determine how to assess them. Major topics to be dealt are as follows: the configuration of the IoT and embedded system environment, kernel booting, module programming, device driver, input/output device control by character device drivers, input/output device control by block device drivers, and finally team projects.
- OPERATING SYSTEM
- This course deals with the important algorithms and theories of operating systems with the view point of the operating systems architecture. Major topics include process management, memory management, peripheral devices management, networking, and security.
- COMPUTER VISION
- The course introduces the basic theory and the latest technology of the computer vision. By understanding the principles of computer vision algorithms, you can raise your problem solving skills and effective machine vision system design skills. This course deals with the understanding of digital image processing, edge feature extraction, segmentation, feature description method, and so on.
- DATA ANALYSIS AND MACHINE LEARNING
- In recent years, big data and artificial intelligence are two most interesting research fields in both academic and industrial research work. In particular, the technologies related to data analysis and machine learning, which are the main technologies of these two fields, are emerging as core technologies in the age of 4th industrial revolution. These technologies can solve many problems such as classification, prediction, and optimization by extracting meaningful information/knowledge from a large amount of data through the convergence combining data science, statistics, and computer engineering technologies. In this course, basic concepts, processes, and tools related to data analysis are studied, and based on this, diverse theories and practices from the fundamental concepts and principles of machine learning to the neural network learning techniques including advanced deep learning methods are studied.
- MOBILE PROGRAMMING
- Nowadays, personal mobile devices like smartphone have been widely used. In this course, knowledge and techniques to develop various software applications in such mobile devices will be studied. Particularly, system design and user-centered UI implementation on Android and iOS will be practised.
- TEACHING METHODOLOGY OF BUSINESS INFORMATION EDUCATION
- This course studies educational theory of businees information,its historical background, its purpose,and analyzes recent secondary school teaching processes.
- COMPUTER ARCHITECTURES
- This course deals with the organization, operating principles and design methodology of computer system. Detailed issues are as following: performance, instruction set, control and microprogramming, pipelining techniques, integer and floating point number arithmetic, memory subsystem, input/output subsystem, and advanced computer architectures.
- DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
- This course is intended for a first course in databases at the senior undergraduates ofcomputer engineering or related area. It introduces the fundamental concepts necessary for designing, using, and implementing database systems. Specifically, it stresses the fundamentals of database modeling and design, the languages and facilities provided by database management systems, and system implementation techniques. Participating students are assumed a familiarity with basic data structures, computer organization, operating systems, and a high-level programming language.
- SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
- This course introduces the fundamental issues of software engineering, such as software engineering paradigms, project management, requirement analysis, design, implementation and maintenance of software.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 4- 1
- ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
- This course gives students the studies on the theory fields of AI, such as search, knowledge representation, problem solving, theorem proving, and etc. which are followed by the studies on the application fields, such as expert system, planning, image and voice recognition, learning. This course can help students to construct a certain kind of AI system by making them study the important concepts, theories and application fields of AI.
- INDUSTRY ORIENTED RESEARCH
- The goal of this course is to promote the percentage of employment through the lecture on the recent industry issues(digital home electronics, mobile technology, etc.) accompanied with the team projects.
- IT DESIGN CONVERGENCE PROJECT(CAPSTONE DESIGN)
- Along with the beginning of the 4th industrial revolution and the expansion of the industry based on IoT, Students will learn IT convergence project planning through emotional based service design process and practice prototyping production pipeline through engineering programming process and UX / UI design process. Students will be able to build up a team of interdisciplinary computer science and visual communication design departments to enhance understanding of each other’s fields as they are carrying out practical projects through collaboration.
- METHOD & RESEARCH OF BUSINESS INFORMATION TEACHING MATERIALS
- Introduction to methods and techniques employed in investigation and reporting educational problems. Suggested for all candidates in education for undergraduate degrees. In addition, this course deals with methodological issues and problems in education.
- NETWORK SECURITY & BLOCKCHAIN
- This course is designed to understand the knowledge of Blockchain Technology and network security. At the conclusion of this course, the audience, students will be able to: • Understand how to get the information from a computer network, a variety of network attack and defense • Explain how blockchain technology works • Integrate blockchain technology into the current business processes to make them secure
- WEB PROGRAMMING
- The goal of this course is to have ability for implementing Web based Internet information processing system. This course includes HTML, XHTML, XML programming, Applets by Java, and creating technology for Web server.
- ENGINEERING CLINIC
- Engineering clinic project for Engineering students provides a year-long study and clinic of a particular topic within the discipline.
- ACADEMY-INDUSTRY COOPERATIVE RESEARCH
- In this course the student participates in a academy-industry cooperative work, or design and implement his own system for the bachelor degree. All of the student should take this course, and they prepare the thesis for bachelor degree along the guide of advisor professor.
- BUSINESS INFORMATION AND LANGUAGE PROCESSING, AND LOGIC PROGRAMMING
- Business information is processed by the technology based on Web that has been improved to process language and knowledge. Language and knowledge processing is a core research field in next geneartion web. Students should study object-oriented language and logic programming, and web programming for preparing the next generation Web. In this lecture, the several advanced topics in language processing are focused. Empirical approach in language processing has been one of the mainstreams throughout the decade. Students will have the introduction to the dictionaries, corpus, the concepts of knowledge engineering, languages for knowledge processing, knowledge representation, inferences by knowledge, and the applications of knowledge engineering, students are asked to develop tools to analyse natural texts and extract useful statistical relations among linguistic units.
- CLOUD COMPUTING
- A cloud system consists of a collection of autonomous computers, connected through a network, which enables computers to coordinate their activities and to share the resources of the system, so that users perceive the system as a single, integrated computing facility. This class covers basic issues for cloud system, such as resource sharing, openness, concurrency, scalability, fault tolerance, and transparency. In addition, this class also discusses the importance of elasticity and resource management in cloud computing issues, such as virtualization, internet-scale computing, and cloud-based data storage.
- A sequential introduction to the fundamental issues of compiler design, such as grammars, regular languages and scanners, context-free languages and parsers, attribute grammar and semantic analysis, syntax-directed code generation and optimization, are discussed in depth.
- GAME PROGRAMMING
- This course introduces the basic techniques related to the game programming such as network, client-server structure, graphics, database, artificial intelligence and etc. This course also introduces the basic concept and major functions of game engines. Students can improve their practical skills to construct a game system through the programming experiments using several simple games.
- ICT TECHNOLOGY AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
- The importance and economic value of Intellectual Property are increasing. The ability of practical use of intellectual property in this information age is very crucial to engineers. Understanding patents, software registration, technical know-how, trade secrets and developing IPs related with ICT technologies are trained. Based on the proposed ICT ideas from students, Searching skills for IP DB, writing out prior art research, design technological patent map are studied.
- MULTIMEDIA SYSTEMS
- Students will explore principles and current technologies of multimedia system design and gain hands-on experience in this area. Topics include multimedia hardware and software, issues in effectively representing, processing, storing and transmitting multimedia data such as text, graphics, sound and music, image and video. Also multimedia systems design, video and audio compression algorithms and programming are covered.
- SPECIAL LECTURES BY INDUSTRY LECTURERS FOR 4TH INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION
- In the era of the 4th Industrial Revolution, every industry is evolving rapidly by combining traditional technologies with cutting-edge ICT technologies. In this course, we invite various experts from industry to learn the current technical trends of the field.
- WEB FRAMEWORK
- A web application consists of a client, a web application server, and a database. The back-end technology corresponds to the web application server and the database. In this course, we present Java-based back-end technologies for web application development. Major lectures include JSP, Servlet, Spring, and MyBatis.
- FIELD TRAINING(COMPUTER ENG.)
- The objective of this class is to provide the students of the Department of computer engineering and technology with the opportunity of applying their knowledges to the problems in the industry. This will help the students in adjusting themselves more properly to the working environment when they are employed.